Meltham Mills Band was formed as an all Brass Band in 1846. They won their first British Open Title (the Belle Vue September contest) in 1873. The band were in the prizes on five other occasions and were the first band (and still only one of six) to do a triple win, in the years 1876/7/8. The conductor at the time was the great John Gladney, the principal cornet being Alex Owen.
Around the turn of the century, still under John Gladney's leadership, the band was instrumental in the arrangement and numbers that now form the standard brass band arrangement. In 1878, the first BBb bass in the country was presented to the band by Madame Besson.
Re-formed immediately after World War II by Jack Manchester and the late John Redfearn, Meltham Band took the name of the two villages of Meltham and Meltham Mills as its title.
In 1996, the band celebrated its 150th Anniversary with commemorative items, a specially commissioned piece ('Triple Gold' by Simon Kerwin) and a programme of concerts. The highlight of the year was a concert in Huddersfield Town Hall with Meltham on stage with the Black Dyke Mills and Brighouse and Rastrick Bands; the three Yorkshire bands to have achieved the hat-trick in the September (British Open) Brass Band Championship.
In 2011, after 3 years of good results in the 1st section the band was rewarded with promotion to the Championship Section for 2012.
After many successful years on the contest and concert stage, the band is now actively contesting in the second section and looks forward to building on the glory of the band's history in the future.
If you'd like to know more about Meltham and Meltham Mills Band journey back to the Championship in 2012, click here - Our Journey Back to the Championship.